☣ ☣ ☣
Before you reduce the size of your workforce with furloughs or layoffs consider reducing hours per employee. Some states are offering “Work Share” unemployment benefits. If employee hours and pay are reduced, for example, by 25%, employees may be eligible for 25% unemployment benefits. This lets the company reduce costs while retaining their skilled workforce intact.
- District of Columbia Characteristically, DC has a program but the page describing it has disappeared and the page offering the application form only provides a .pdf with nothing to fill or file.
- Maryland http://dllr.maryland.gov/employment/worksharing/
- Pennsylvania https://www.uc.pa.gov/employers-uc-services-uc-tax/shared-work/Pages/default.aspx
- Virginia (Program Expired as of January 1, 2020) Check for Updates) https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title60.2/chapter7/
- Other states: https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/work-share-programs.aspx